Combining “Passion with Compassion”, our department aims in treating the patients with the motto “We Care for Eye care”.
We aim to reach out to the underserved, medically deprived population. To provide them Comprehensive Visual health Services at affordable/costless and high quality medical and surgical eye care and to set benchmarks in all aspects of ophthalmic care delivery to the patients and awareness to the public.
Message from HOD
The staff in the department of ophthalmology work synergistically as a co-ordinated, well motivated team, intent on providing quality eye care to all those who need ophthalmic service.
We provide state of the art investigative and therapeutic procedures with advanced equipments.
Infrastructure of Department
No. of rooms
|Patient Examination arrangement:||Adequate||Adequate|
Waiting area for patients.
|Department Office||Office Space for Teaching Faculty|
|Space for Clerk||Yes/No||HOD||21.00 SQM|
|Staff (Steno/Clerk)||Yes/No||Professors||24.74 SQM|
|Computer/Typewriter:||Yes/No||Assoc. Prof.||24.74 SQM|
|Storage space for files||Yes/No||Asst. Prof.||13.74 SQM|
|TOTAL AREA in SQM||314.08|
|7||Minor Procedure room||3.33||4.85||16.15|
|8||Sub Specialty Clinics||3.22||6.97||22.44|
|10||Laser/Special Investigations room||6.97||3.33||23.21|
|TOTAL AREA in SQM||314.08|
|TOTAL PLINT AREA IN SQM||503.28|
Ophthalmology Ward : TOTAL AREA -1112.93 SQM
|Ophthalmology IPD WARD area Details|
|1||Male Ward (15 Beds) + Nurses Station||169.52|
|2||Female Ward (15 Beds) + Nurses Station||143.08|
|3||Male Ward Toilet||35.35|
|4||Female Ward Toilet||33.41|
|7||Duty Doctor Room||5.15||5.00||25.75|
|12||Library Cum Seminar||12.60||5.01||63.13|
|UNIT STAFF ROOM|
|2||HOD Room with Toilet||3.00||7.00||21.00|
|4||Assistant Professor /Residents||2.58||4.47||11.53|
|TOTAL CARPET AREA||
|TOTAL CARPET AREA||46.47 SQM|
|S.no||Name of the room||Area in SQM|
|TOTAL CARPET AREA||46.47|
- Total No. of Books. 151
- Purchase of latest editions in last 3 years. 85
No. of Journals 4 Print + 22 Online
- Space 20.00 Sqm
- Equipment Available & Adequate
- Research projects utilizing Dept research lab.
- Completed No 9
- Ongoing No 1
- Proposed No 2
- Space: 30.64 Sqm.
- of specimens (Instruments) 57
- (Models) 9
- Charts/ Diagrams. 29
|5||ND YAG LASER|
|9||OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHY|
|13||SLIT LAMP + ANTERIOR SEGMENT IMAGING|
|15||NON CONTACT TONOMETER|
|Professor & HOD||1||
Dr.Ashwini Chandrakant Sonkamble
Dr.N. Vasantha Kumar
|1||S.Suguna||Technical Assistant/ Technician|
Number of Units with beds in each unit:
I unit – 34 Beds
|Ward||No. of beds|
|Septic Ward Female||2|
- Timing 8.30 am to 3.30 pm
|S.No.||Name of the Clinic||Days on which held||Timings||
Name of Clinic
|1||Refraction Clinic||Daily||2 – 3.30pm||Dr.D.Baba|
|2||Cornea Clinic||Monday||2 – 3.30pm||Dr.D.Baba|
|3||Retina Clinic||Tuesday||2 – 3.30pm||Dr.Ashwini|
|4||Glaucoma Clinic||Wednesday||2 – 3.30pm||Dr.P.Dinesh|
|5||Squint/Neuro ophthalmology Clinic||Thursday||2 – 3.30pm||Dr.P.Dinesh|
|6||Orbit & Oculoplasty||Friday||2 – 3.30pm||Dr.Ashwini|
- Pterygium+ Autograft
- Ptosis correction (Procedure)-Sling
- Ectropion & Entropion Correction
- Phaco + TRAB
- SICS+ TRAB
- Cornea Suturing
- Scleral Buckling
- FB Removal LA
- Sac Syringing
- Scrapping for Staining
- Chemical Injury wash and debridement
- Chalazion – Incision and curettage
- Lid Suturing
- Conjunctival Suturing
- Bleb Needling
2018 – Publications
- Dr.V.Muthukrishnan, Dr.K.Rathnakumar, Dr.D.Baba Prevalence of Refractive Errors Changes in nuclear & Cortical Cataract. IOSR Journal IOSR – JDMS 2016.Vol.15 (12)01-06 Index Copernicus January- 2018.
2017 – Publications
- Dr.K.Rathnakumar, Dr.D.Baba Prevalence of dry eye disease in type 2 diabetic patients and its association with retinopathy. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 0975 – 8232 Index Copernicus Oct-2017.
- Dr.K.Rathnakumar, Dr.D.Baba Prevalence of dry eye disease and its association with dyslipidemia. Journal of basic and clinical physiology and pharmacology 2191 – 0286 Index Copernicus Oct- 2017.
- Dr.Dinesh P Surgical management of pterygium in a rural hospital using bare sclera versus conjunctival autograft technique. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. Vol 5 Issue 5 Index Copernicus April- 2017.
- Dr.Dinesh P The clinical and etiological study of the Oculomotor nerve palsy in a rural hospital. Indian Journal of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. Vol 3 Issue 2 Index Copernicus April- 2017.
- Dr.Dinesh P A comprehensive study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Nd: YAG laser capsulotomy in the management of posterior capsular opacification in a rural environment. Indian Journal of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. Vol 3 Issue 3 Index Copernicus July- 2017.
- . Dr.Dinesh P Manipulative Gonioscopy as a predictor of angle opening – post Nd- YAG laser Iridotomy in primary angle closure suspects (PACS) patients. . Indian Journal of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. Vol 3 Issue 1 Index Copernicus January -2017.
2016 – Publications
- Dr.D.Baba, Dr.V.Muthukrishnan Prevalence of Refractive Errors Changes in nuclear & Cortical Cataract. IOSR Journal IOSR – JDMS 2016. Vol.15 (12)01-06 Index Copernicus Dec- 2016.
- Comparative study of trabeculectomy using single sutures versus releasable sutures
- Comparative study of trabeculectomy using single sutures versus releasable sutures.
- Comparative study of Macular changes in diabetic patients using optical coherence tomography and fundus photography.
“INFLUENCE OF SERUM LIPIDS IN CASE OF CLINICALLY SIGNIFICANT MACULAR EDEMA IN TYE 2 DIABETIC RETINOPATHY CASES”
Guest Lectures for the year 2020-21
|1||Dr.Guruprasad||ROP evaluation and management|
- A 60 year old male came with complaints of defective vision for the past 3 months, gradual loss with insidious onset. Patient is known case of Hypertensive on medications. MRI brain showed small vessel ischaemic changes. On fundus examination patient found to have Left eye disc edema with neuroretinitis. Patient diagnosed to have left eye Neuroretinitis.
- A 15 year old female patient was admitted in casualty at about 8.30 am with complaints of altered sensorium and bulging of both eyes since the previous evening following ingestion of some oral tablets for abdominal pain. On examination patient was comatose with GCS 6/15 ,she had bilateral Proptosis with lagophthalmos due to severe conjunctivo chalasis, pupil was dilated and fixed- 5 mm.Patient was taken to Operation theatre and bilateral Lateral Canthotomy performed ,tapping of conjunctival sac attempted which turned out to be dry taps, layer of clotted blood observed within the conjunctival sac. CT brain showed Subgaleal Hemorrhage with diffuse cerebral edema. Tentative diagnosis of Subgaleal hemorrhage with Bilateral orbital subperiosteal hemorrhage made,which is a